PKP-1930’s Contribution to the 16th International Meeting of Communist and Workers’ Parties, Guayaquil, Ecuador, November 13 to 15, 2014
The Role of Communist and Workers’ Parties in
the Struggle Against Imperialist and Capitalist
Exploitation (which Causes Crises and Wars, and
Encourages Fascist and Nationalist Forces Against
the Rights of Workers and the Peoples),
for National Emancipation and the Development
of the Class Struggle for Socialism
The Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas (PKP-1930, the Philippine Communist Party) salutes the Partido Comunista del Ecuador for hosting this 16thInternational Meeting of Communist and Workers’ Parties, and sends its warmest fraternal greetings to all participants of this historic meeting.
This international meeting is very significant as it is being held amidst the complex international situation, when capitalism is mired in deeper and more acute contradictions, mainly the following:
- the sharper contradiction between the social nature of production and the private nature of the appropriation of the wealth produced, leading to wider social gaps between the working masses and the bourgeoisie ;
- the contradiction between the great advances in science and technology (resulting to over-production and the over-accumulation of capital), and the more massive levels of unemployment and the diversion of more productive forces towards the production of more devastating armaments ;
- the contradiction between the concentration of wealth plundered by the few imperialist powers, and the poverty of millions of people in countries whose sovereign rights and territorial integrity are being denigrated, and whose development is impeded by subjecting them to re-colonization;
- the contradiction between the drive for greater profits from the unsustainable extraction of natural resources, and the worsened degradation of the global environment ;
- the growing contradiction and competition among the imperialist centers, with the weakening of the USA’s economic and financial hegemony, the extended crises in member countries of European Union, and the continued stagnation of Japan ;
- the contradiction between the imperialist powers spearheaded by US imperialism, and the fast growing economies of the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) which are similarly capitalist in nature ; and
- the continued contradiction between imperialism on the one hand, and the world revolutionary forces on the other hand (the remaining socialist countries, the working class movement in developed capitalist countries, and the national liberation movements in remaining colonies).
Comrade V. I. Lenin described the threefold character of imperialism, namely: (1) monopoly capitalism, (2) parasitic capitalism, and (3) moribund capitalism. To prolong the capitalist system’s existence and to hold back its decay, as well as to satisfy its insatiable thirst for higher profits, imperialism is intensifying its fierce offensive through the following :
- the harsh implementation of its economic policy dictates --- such as privatization, trade liberalization and business deregulation, even with the use of the debt trap and other financial and trade pressures to break the resistance of recalcitrant countries ;
- attacks against labor and social rights everywhere, with the removal of the social welfare functions of governments ;
- ideological attacks, such as the absurd equating or lumping together of communists and fascists, the rewriting of history to erase mention of the great socialist advances since the Great October Socialist Revolution (GOSR), and the presenting of maoist and other ultra-left terrorism as the alleged correct essence of communist advocacy ;
- the denigration of the concepts of national sovereignty, territorial integrity, the people’s right to self-determination, of democratic and other human rights --- through overt and covert interference to fuel ethnic and territorial conflicts, to balkanize countries, to organize coups, to cause “regime change”, and to install despotic puppet regimes ;
- the forging of military defense agreements with countries under the imperialist sphere of influence, the installing of more military bases around the globe, and the open violation of international law and of the role of the United Nations through unilateral and direct military invasion and interference as in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria. Such invasions and interference are even justified under the aims of “fighting terrorism”, “dismantling weapons of mass destruction”, “saving failed states”, etc.
The imperialist offensive did not in any way solve the capitalist crisis, but only worsened it. The deepening or worsening of the systemic crisis of capitalism means the maturing and ripening of the objective condition for the revolutionary advance to socialism, in the context of the present epoch ushered in by the GOSR.
The working class, as the “grave-digger” of capitalism, has the power to reverse today’s situation and undertake the revolutionary advance to socialism. But for the working class to become conscious of its mission, and to shape a revolutionary strategy for the implacable class struggle againstthe bourgeoisie, the strengthening of its revolutionary party is necessary. The revolutionary party must be able to perform its role as vanguard of the working class struggle.
The PKP-1930 believes that although the subjective factor for revolutionary transformation is lagging behind the maturing material conditions, and the balance of forces is less favourable than during the strong existence of the USSR and the socialist community, the forces and schemes of imperialism and reaction are not insurmountable. The whole capitalist system is constantly in crisis, and the multifarious struggles of the peoples around the globe are constantly chiselling at the strength of imperialism, and frustrating the insatiable desire of imperialism for more resources, superprofits and power.
The PKP-1930 retains the view that the main currents of the world revolutionary process are the remaining socialist countries, the international working class movement, the remaining national liberation movements, and the broad movement of developing countries struggling against neo-liberal globalization.
The socialist path or orientation blazed by the GOSR remains rooted in Cuba, Venezuela, the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Belarus, the Syrian Arab Republic, the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, Ecuador, Bolivia, Nicaragua, El Salvador and other members of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas (ALBA), the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the People’s Republic of China, and even in Cyprus. Communist and workers’ parties loyal to the behest of the GOSR also have substantial influence in such largely developed countries as India, Brazil, South Africa, Greece, Portugal, Spain and Russia. This general situation gives the PKP-1930 greater confidence that socialism not only truly remains the future and salvation of humanity, but also that socialist advances in different parts of the world are not too distant.
Of great significance in the struggle for socialism is exemplified by Cuba. Cuba remains a prime example of successfully maintaining socialism despite economic sabotage, sanctions, invasion threats and assassination plots by US imperialism. With Cuba’s example, a new integration of economies along socialist lines is being forged in Latin America. The advancements of the ongoing processes of cooperation and sovereign integration in Latin America --- such as the Common Market of the South (MERCOSUR), the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), and the Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas (ALBA) --- confirm the favorable balance of forces in that continent. The bold examples of Cuba, Venezuela and other ALBA countries in resisting imperialism are proving to be a beacon for many peoples and governments.
The PKP-1930 notes the heightened militancy of the working masses in developed capitalist countries --- in defense of labor, social and democratic rights, and of sovereignty. Examples of this are the big strikes and mobilizations in Greece, Spain and other European countries against the brutal anti-social offensive of the European Union. There are also important struggles against war and monopoly capital in the USA and the UK. The Communist Parties in their respective countries play important roles in the process of raising the class consciousness of their peoples and also worldwide.
The PKP-1930 salutes the continuing resistance of the Palestinian and other Arab peoples against the intensified imperialist and zionist oppression being done through direct and indirect military aggression, the fragmentation of Arab countries, the imposition of new puppet regimes, and the promotion of reactionary religious forces of a fundamentalist or extremist nature.
Further, the PKP-1930 notes the growing prestige and clout of the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) which together account for half of the world’s population, investments and productive capacity. The cooperation and integration of their economies, and their growing detachment from ties with the USA and other NATO countries, is leading to the creation of a new (although still capitalist) counterpoise to US-NATO imperialism.
The PKP-1930 stands for the international projection of the need to overthrow (and not to “reform”) capitalism, as the unifying platform for all progressive and left forces; and for the projection of the class nature of the international struggle against imperialism and reaction. Working class interests remain the basis for unity in the anti-imperialist and anti-capitalist struggles in all parts of the world.
As the PKP-1930 celebrated last November 7, 2014, the 84th anniversary of its public launching and the 97th anniversary of the GOSR, it reiterated the vow to remain proud of its working class roots, its history of struggle, and its loyalty to the ideology of Marxism-Leninism. Given the neo-colonial situation of the Philippines and the under-development of its productive forces (primarily the country’s industrial base), the PKP-1930 will continue to pursue the struggle for national democracy as the transitional stage to socialism.
The PKP-1930 places great importance to continued adherence to Marxism-Leninism, and to the principle of proletarian internationalism, in our present struggles against capitalist exploitation and imperialist aggressions, towards the building of socialist society. In this regard, the PKP-1930 will exert every effort to help forge the unity of the International Communist Movement.
Prepared by :
CDE. SALVACION M. CORPUZ
Secretary for Education, PKP-1930